- Become a Registered Herbalist
- RH Online Application Instructional Video
- AHG Suggested Education Guidelines
- Registered Herbalist Membership Criteria
- Submitting Case Histories
- Documenting Independent Study
How to Apply
Please review our Registered Herbalist Membership Criteria before submitting your application. The Application portal can be found below.
The Standard Application
- The Standard Application process is used to apply for RH membership. In Part 1, you provide details about your herbal education, clinical training, and experience and submit it to the Admissions Coordinator. No payments are needed to submit Part 1 and Part 1 can be submitted anytime. Once Part 1 of your application has been reviewed to verify that it meets the criteria for applying for RH membership, you receive an email notification with a link to Part 2 of the application. A response will be delivered within 2 weeks.
- In Part 2 of the application, you provide three case histories from your practice, two letters of recommendation from colleagues, and demonstrate your ability to assess several sample cases we provide, as well as your knowledge of materia medica. We also ask you to describe your clinical practice, caseload, personal philosophy, and other details about your work as a clinical herbalist. Detailed instructions about each of these areas are part of the online application. A non-refundable application fee ($100 for members, $175 for non-members) is due when you submit Part 2.
- Applications are submitted digitally through the AHG website using the link below. Once you begin your application, you can work on it at your own pace. When you have completed Part 2 of the application, you submit it along with your application fee.
- You must complete and submit both Part 1 and 2 before the application deadlines listed below.
- Part 1 may be submitted at any point during the year. However, if you submit Part 1 of the application less than three weeks before an application deadline, it will automatically be held until the next review cycle deadline.
If you meet the RH Application Criteria, start your application now! It's free!
The Equivalency Review Process
Effective Immediately: AHG no longer offers an Equivalency Application. All applicants must use the Standard Application. (August 30. 2021)
The Application Review Process
The Admissions Committee reviews applications three times a year. The deadlines for submitting Part 1 and Part 2 of the application and required fees are March 15, July 15, and November 15 each year.
David Winston, Admissions Committee Chair, oversees the process of reviewing and scoring applications along with a rotation of Registered Herbalist Admissions Committee members
Admissions Committee members are assigned several applications to review and score using a Leikert Scale of 1 to 5 points. The committee then meets by phone to review scores and determine whether an applicant is accepted. Acceptance requires a minimum score in each category and an overall passing score.
The entire application review process takes approximately three months. Application deadlines and notifications are:
March 15 deadline - Notified late June.
July 15 deadline - Notified late October.
November 15 deadline - Notified late February.
Should an application fail to achieve a satisfactory score to be accepted, you will receive written, detailed feedback and specific suggestions for continued study. These applications are considered ‘Pending’ and you will have a specific amount of time (usually 1 to 2 years) to complete additional education or clinical experience before resubmitting an amended application. The Admissions Coordinator is available to provide you with guidance about how to meet the required criteria and the reapplication process. Pending applicants are not required to pay an additional application fee when resubmitting. Please contact the Admissions Coordinator for additional clarification about the application process.