The American Herbalists Guild promotes clinical herbalism as a viable profession rooted in ethics, competency, diversity, and freedom of practice. The American Herbalists Guild supports access to herbal medicine for all and advocates excellence in herbal education.
The American Herbalists Guild envisions a world where herbal medicine is accessible to all as a core component of health care. We envision a culture of vocational empowerment for aspiring and practicing clinical herbalists, as well as other members of the herbal profession including educators, growers, wildcrafters, and apothecaries.
The American Herbalists Guild honors diversity in the practice of herbal medicine. We equally recognize the validity of traditional herbal practice and modern science-based clinical phytotherapy. As the American Herbalists Guild values the relationship between individual and environmental health, we are dedicated to promoting plant sustainability.
Our Founding Mission:
- Honor diversity in herbal medicine, ranging from traditional indigenous models of herbalism to modern clinical phytotherapy.
- Establish AHG Registered Herbalist application and approval process as a recognizable standard of competency in botanical medicine.
- Encourage the development of high standards of education that promote well-trained professional practitioners who offer high quality herbal care.
- Promote ecological health and increase awareness of issues surrounding plant sustainability.
- Strengthen the network of support and communication between herbal practitioners nationally and internationally.
- Foster high standards of ethics and integrity in the education and the practice of therapeutic herbalism.
- Promote cooperation between herbal practitioners and other health care providers, integrating herbalism into community health care.
- Serve as a liaison to other professional associations and regulatory agencies.
- Promote research in herbal medicine.