American Herbalists Guild (AHG) Seeking Office and Events Manager
Local candidates only
Part time salary: $16,500 annually with additional compensation at annual Symposium (Living Wage Certified Employer)
The American Herbalists Guild was founded in 1989 as a non-profit, educational organization to represent the goals and voices of herbalists specializing in the medicinal use of plants. Our primary goal is to promote a high level of professionalism and education in the study and practice of therapeutic herbalism.
This position provides direct administrative office support to the primary AHG Executive Director and the AHG Assistant Director. The Office Manager will deliver optimum productivity, alignment, and smooth functioning of all office related assignments within time constraints to assure that deadlines are met. Additionally, the position assumes the role of the AHG Events Coordinator, reporting directly to the AHG Executive Director/AHG Symposium Director for event related tasks.
Location: Our office is located in Asheville, NC and this position maintains on site office hours Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10am-5pm. Some weekends and travel may be required. The Office Manager is expected to attend and work at the Annual AHG Symposium every fall.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Office Administrative (Under Direction of the Assistant Director)
• Manages all AHG memberships through CiviCRM. This includes processing new memberships and updating membership information and directory information as required.
• Manages all office bulk mailings including member certificates, welcome packets, renewal postcards, seasonal mailings and renewal campaigns.
• Coordinates all shipping needs for the AHG office.
• Answering emails and questions from both members and non-members. Answers phone and returns phone calls.
• Updates, organizes, posts and accesses information as assigned on the AHG website, Constant Contact mailing list, Dropbox and AHG social media platforms
• Oversees social media postings. Manages social media calendar and supervises the Social Media Contractor.
• Maintains the AHG office as a clean and organized functional space.
• Acts as a staff liaison for the day to day office landlord-tenant affairs.
• Maintains adequate stock of all office supplies, office wellness supplies, retail items and promotional materials.
• Supervises AHG retail sales and inventory management.
• Handling all purchases associated with the maintenance of the AHG office.
• Coordinates office travel needs.
• Manages the schedule and workflow of the AHG Office Assistant and Office Interns.
• Informs the Assistant Director of any and all concerns related to the day to day maintenance of the AHG Office.
• Oversees all membership campaigns: coordinates member discount codes, and all paper and email mailings pertaining to membership and membership campaigns.
Events Coordination: (Under Direction of the Executive Director and with the Symposium Planning Committee)
• Acts as Social Coordinator of the Annual American Herbalists Guild Symposium.
• Acts as point of contact for venue communications.
• Assists with hotel/ conference center contracts and reservations of room blocks for staff, Symposium support contractors and council
• Schedules food, beverage and catering for Symposium
• Schedules music and other forms of entertainment for events
• Manages relationships with various suppliers and vendors
• Coordinates all print material relating to events
• Composes and posts social media messages for the AHG Symposium as per the AHG social media calendar.
• Orders all necessary supporting aids equipment and materials for Symposium and other events.
• Coordinates travel needs for staff and council.
• Point of contact for all lodging logistics. Updates Symposium website with lodging information, travel information, food and dining, and all other information related to the venue, food, and non-academic events.
• Acts as manager of the Annual Silent Auction and oversees the role of the Silent Auction Coordinator.
• In conjunction with the Office Assistant, organizes tabling for local events such as Medicines from the Earth in Black Mountain, and additional events as assigned.
The ideal applicant will have the following skills and experience:
Technology Skills: The Office Manager is responsible for maintaining office productivity. Proficiency with Apple Mac products, Gmail, Apple mail app, Database CRM management, Microsoft Office, social media apps, and basic website maintenance is desired.
Event Management: Event coordination or event management experience is desired. Should be comfortable with event logistics, prioritizing tasks, and must be able to remain professional, as wells as problem solve amidst stressful situations.
Communication Skills: The Office and Manager responds directly to member concerns and inquiries and is the main point of contact for various community events. They should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a wide range of people.
Self-Motivated and Dependable: Must be able to work autonomously and problem solve, and seek guidance from others as needed. Ability to maintain and contribute to a cooperative and harmonious work environment.
Since the Office Manager is the central point of contact, maintaining regular office hours Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10-5pm is essential.
Interested applicants email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Office Manager.
The American Herbalists Guild provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic.